Monday, September 10, 2012

Life on the Internet

I sold my car last week. I didn't go to a garage. For the first time I advertised on a motoring site on the internet. The advert was located on Saturday; I had a phone call on Monday; they came to see it on Tuesday, handed me a bundle of £50 notes and filled in the suitable forms. I hurriedly emptied the car and it was driven off by its new owner. And all this was possible because of the internet. That got me thinking. Where are we going? Is the internet going to take over the world? Will machines rule our lives?
What do you use the internet for?

I know that even though I am considered a silver surfer, I use the power of the internet for a variety of tasks. I have bought a car using my computer to source it and am doing so again this Friday. I have just booked my summer holiday using the same formula and will book my Channel ferry crossing as soon as I collect my car. I can't remember the last time I booked a holiday using a trip agent. I have to collect my car from London and so I bought my tickets on-line. I had to convert the assurance details so the new course was sent by email for me to download and print. I bought my tax disk on the web and will do so again.

I use eBay to buy and sell a variety of items. I bought and sold Victorian postcards. The cards were purchased at an online auction where you can listen live to the auctioneer taking bids. You click on a button and your bid is automatically registered. I have set up two websites. My first sold antiques, art and collectables. It wasn't very flourishing but covered my costs. My new site sells condition products, beauty products, jewellery and collectables. It is aimed at the over 55 age group but has items for others too. Most of the stock was acquired from wholesale companies which were found by surfing the internet. My partner has bought books, clothes, shoes, paint rollers, dog beds and a variety of miscellaneous items.

I haven't used the home food shopping services as there are only two of us and shopping isn't too much of a chore. Those with larger families must find it easier to order by computer, have the goods delivered to your door and avoid having to trail children round the supermarket wanting every toy and sweet they see.

What else does the world wide web offer? Ah, yes! I met my partner through an on-line dating site. Some population scoff at the idea of a sixty-ish 'old man' chatting to members of the opposite sex on a computer. Well it worked. I found a lovely, moving woman who now shares my home and we are very happy. There are dangers and lessons to be learned about internet dating sites. Women especially have to be just about meeting for the first time. Don't give out too much information, such as phone numbers and home addresses until you are sure it is safe to do so. You won't surely know your 'date' until you meet, so make sure it is in a safe place and friends know where you are and when you will be back. I found the whole sense very enjoyable though there were some problems to overcome. It may be true; you have to kiss a few frogs before you find prince charming (not literally). Don't rule for second best.

I haven't yet mentioned email and public networking sites. Of course I use email for personal as well as firm use. It's so suitable and roughly instant. I have signed up for Facebook and Twitter but don't use them. I write a blog which no-one visits. I write articles which are read but still no-one uses the links to my site.

Where do we go from here? I can see that town centres might become residential areas with only places of entertainment and the occasional small shop dotted around. You can't get your hair styled over the internet. Most items you need could be ordered and delivered to your door. We will adjust our way of living by browsing and buying. We should have more freedom time and be able to go out more into the countryside. We can even rehearsal by following some computer programme.

What about transport? Will we be able to sit in our vehicle, programme in a destination and sit back while we are driven there using current Satellite Navigation? The technology is available. Space travel, private pods to live in; homes under the sea; anything is possible?

What should we learn from this? Will we become too reliant on machines? I'm no Jules Verne. I can't predict the future? Let's hear you ideas. What changes will there be in 50 years time?

advice Life on the Internet advice


No comments:

Post a Comment